Answered By: Nicole Rosetti
Last Updated: May 23, 2019     Views: 31


Public and private K-12 school librarians, teachers, and homeschoolers who work in Delaware, including those whose residence is out-of-state are all eligible for educator cards.

Applications for educator library cards must be submitted in person. 

To apply for an educator card, you will need to fill out an application, which is available here, and have your employment verified by filling out the form available here. The employment verification form must be signed by the school's principal. Homeschooling parents can provide homeschool acknowledgement document from the DDOE.

Additionally, you will need to 

  • Verify your identity with a current photo ID.

  • Verify your home address with a current driver’s license, utility bill, or equivalent that is dated

    or postmarked within 60 days

All educator cards are valid from August 1st to July 31st; they expire on July 31st of each year. Educator cards must be renewed annually. For renewal, present the same documents that were required to receive the card and pay all outstanding fees on both your personal and educator accounts.

Note: If you have overdue or missing materials fees on your personal account, you must take care of them before applying for an educator card. A personal account is not required to obtain an educator card.

The educator card allows its holders to supplement their curriculum with expanded access to public library resources for children and teens.

Educator card privileges:

  • Borrow up to 99 items

  • Request up to 99 items

  • No fines for overdue items

  • Extended loan periods

        •   Multiple copy request service (at participating libraries)

Related Topics